Reflections from Montreat Youth Conference
Montreat, NC is a special place for Presbyterians. It is one of those “thin places” where we can more easily experience God’s presence in our lives. Our church brought nine high school girls to this year’s conference, and His light was certainly shining bright all week!
The theme was, “A World of Difference,” focusing on how God created each of us unique beings, called to be the difference with our families, our friends, our church and the world. Each morning, we gathered in Anderson Auditorium for energizers, singing and a keynote address, followed by small groups. After lunch our small groups met for more discussion, games and fellowship with youth from across the country. In the evenings, all 600 of us worshipped together as one church family.
We had an amazing week and want to share some of the gems with you:
- We can do well, but it’s more important to do good
- You cannot be different until you recognize and see differences as a gift from God Breath prayer: breath in God’s mercies this day, breath out God’s mercies on others
- If you seek to follow the faith, you cannot be passive spectators
- When you change one life, you change the world
- God has great timing
- You are a beautiful part of my life
- As a church, we are called to practice loving, and loving LOUD
- Youth have been named as the prophets and visionaries…we must be that TODAY!
Our final charge came from Roman 12:2, “Do not conform to the world, but be transformed by the renewing of your minds.”…and work to transform the world, as well. Thank you for supporting this trip and for always supporting and challenging our youth! Kim Ness, Director of Youth Ministries